Once Upon a Time in Hollywood News
Having got great reviews from the Cannes Film Festival Premier, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood will soon be hitting our cinemas. And will also show at the Locarno Film Festival as part of it’s open-air Piazza Grand screenings in August.
Ahead of the film’s release, Quentin Tarantino and Sony TV will be presenting The Swinging Sixties. A series of films curated by Tarantino, which influenced his creation of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.
2 films will air nightly, over 80 territories worldwide, beginning a week before Once Upon a Time’s release. Conversations between Tarantino and Kim Morgan (film writer and historian) will accompany each movie and include first looks at scenes from Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. The UK Sony Movie Channel can be found here
The Ten Films from Columbia Films Library
- Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice
- Cactus Flower
- Easy Rider
- Model Shop
- Battle of the Coral Sea
- Getting Straight
- The Wrecking Crew
- Gunman’s Walk
- Arizona Raiders
Quentin Tarantino’s 9th Film
Set in 1969 Los Angeles, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is said to be about a washed-up TV actor and his stunt double who are trying to make a name for themselves in a film industry they don’t recognise anymore. As for the promised Charles Manson connection, these guys live next door to Sharon Tate. And the Manson murders will serve as a backdrop to the story.
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood – starring:
Damon Herriman as Charles Manson. You may know him from Justified, Flesh and Bone, Scorpion, or Secret City.
Leonardo Decaprio (Django Unchained) as Rick Dalton, a washed-up western TV star who wants to make his name in the movies.
Brad Pitt (Inglourious Basterds) as Cliff Booth, Dalton’s stunt double.
And Margot Robbie as Sharon Tate.
- Michael Madson (The Hateful Eight)
- Kurt Russell (The Hateful Eight)
- Timothy Olyphant (Santa Clarita Diet, Justified)
- Damian Lewis (Homeland, Billions)
- Luke Perry (Riverdale, Body of Proof)
- Emile Hirsch (Milk, Speed Racer)
- Dakota Fanning (Ocean’s 8, The Alienist)
- Clifton Collins Jr (Star Trek, Westworld)
- Keith Jefferson (Django Unchained, The Hateful Eight)
- Zoe Bell (The Hateful Eight, Unspoken: Diary of an Assassin)
- Nicholas Hammond (Stealth, Crocodile Dundee in Los Angeles)
- Rumer Willis (Empire, Hostage)
- Dreama Walker (Gran Torino, Brockmire)
- Margaret Qualley (The Nice Guys, The Leftovers)
- Costa Ronin (The Americans, Agent Carter)
- Victoria Pedretti (The Haunting of Hill House, Uncovering Eden)
MadisenBeaty (The Magicians, The Fosters)
- Lorenza Izzo (Knock Knock, The House with a Clock in its Walls)
And Al Pacino as Marvin
Not forgetting Quentin Tarantino himself, who has a role in all of his movies. (The Narrator in The Hateful Eight – wouldn’t it be fab if he made a few western audiobooks when he’s done with his films?)
Although BURT REYNOLDS was on board for Once Upon A Time in Hollywood, he sadly passed away before filming his part. Well known for Smokey and the Bandit, Boogie Nights, and B.L. Stryker (which I loved). More recent appearances included Burn Notice (another of my favs), The X-Files, The Dukes of Hazard, Hitting the Breaks, and The Last Movie Star to name but a few. Reported by a family member to be looking forward to working on the movie with Tarantino, Reynolds passed away on September 6th, 2018, aged 82. He will be missed.
His Other Movies
Two other Quentin Tarantino projects have been mentioned are an Untitled Star Trek movie, which Mark L. Smith will write, and Kill Bill: Vol 3. As the films considered part of his ten movies are both written and directed by Tarantino I don’t think the Star Trek movie will be his final movie.
- Reservoir Dogs -’92
- Pulp Fiction – ’94
- Jackie Brown – ’97
- Kill Bill: Volume 1 – ’03 & Kill Bill: Volume 2 – ’04
- Death Proof – ’07
- Inglourious Basterds – ’09
- Django Unchained – ’12
- The Hateful Eight – ’15
- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood – ’19
With a limited U.S. release date of July 26th, 2019, for once,
Horror and Fantasy Author – Also writing as K.T. McQueen. Love Western Horror, cowboy boots, my cactus Collin, & my Demon Cat.
Moths – I hate moths, the way they flutter at your face!