…It’s not dead
It was with deep sadness that we thought we had learnt the fate of The Dark Universe. A young (sort of) franchise, just starting out and finding it’s feet. That seemed to have already met a horrible end.
We have seen the rise and fall of two of the greatest monsters – Dracula and The Mummy. We have felt the withering of a third – The Bride of Frankenstein. And we lament.
Only last week did I review The Mummy, and had great hope and optimism for The Dark Universe’s future. I looked forward to it’s promised delights. And I still do.
It is not over.
We’ve learned many lessons throughout the creative process on Dark Universe so far, and we are viewing these titles as filmmaker-driven vehicles, each with their own distinct vision. We are not rushing to meet a release date and will move forward with these films when we feel they are the best versions of themselves. – Peter Cramer, Universal’s President of Production
Here’s what we know about The Dark Universe’s Fate
Whilst many are saying the Universe is dead, Universal have not. They are looking for better stories, the right directors, and they are in no rush. They are choosing to learn and adapt -I sincerely hope they do not give up. What we know so far:
- Alex Kurtzman – Kurtzman’s contract lapsed in September and he moved to focus on Star Trek & Star Trek: Discovery
- Chris Morgan – working on the Fast and Furious Franchise, with no confirmation he has departed The Dark Universe
- Bride of Frankenstein – Plug pulled during pre-production, the studio wants to make sure the right story is being told before going forward with this movie
- Dracula: Untold – The original first movie of the reboot, but ditched when it didn’t make the numbers at the American box office
- The Mummy – not the roaring success they were hoping for either
- No new movies have planned release dates
- Universal is moving forward with The Dark Universe – just with a little more care.
For more details and information on The Dark Universe check out Steven Biscotti’s post on Universal Monsters Universe
P.S. Universal? I have some ideas…